We absolutely love food from around the world! Today we feature a recipe submitted by Samory Uiki Fraga, an international student from Brazil. If you love shrimp, you’ll love this dish.
Moqueca de Camarão
– 2.2 lbs of medium peeled and de-veined shrimp
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 4 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
– Black pepper
– Palm Oil
– 2 yellow onions
– 1/2 yellow, 1/2 green, 1/2 red bell pepper
– 1 tomato
– 1 Tbsp pf paprika
– 1 large bunch of cilantro
– 1 14-ounce can UNSWEETENED coconut milk
1. Toss the shrimp with black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, and lemon juice and marinate, covered and chilled, 20 minutes.
2.Purée tomatoes with juice in a blender until smooth.
3. Cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add black pepper, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and remaining teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomato purée and simmer briskly, stirring, until mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil, then add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Stir in palm oil and more cilantro and season with salt and pepper.