In the year 2020 there will be new faces on the $10 and $20 bills in the United States. Learn who will be on the money!
WASHINGTON–Some new faces are coming to the $10 and $20 bills in the United States and all of them will be women.
Right now, this is what the $10 bill looks like, front and back:
In case you’re wondering, that is Alexander Hamilton on the front of the $10 bill. He was pretty much a big deal….as he did the following:
- He was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States
- He was the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury and the founder of the country’s financial system
- The most influential interpreter and promoter of the U.S. Constitution
- Served as chief staff aide to George Washington, the first U.S. President
What will change to the $10 bill?
The U.S. Treasury announced that images of women will be on the back of the new $10 bill. There hasn’t been a draft released of what a the new back of the bill would look like. Many were hoping that a woman would also be placed on the front of the bill, but many still argued the importance of keeping Alexander Hamilton.
While on the front of the $20 bill, a brand new face will be welcomed. Right now, this is what the $20 bill looks like on the front:
If you’re wondering who that guy is, that is Andrew Jackson. A little bit about him:
- He was the 7th president of the United States
- He owned hundreds of slaves who worked on his plantation
- In 1806 he killed a man in a duel over a matter of honor regarding his wife (seriously…he did)
- Lead several different battles against the British
- Invaded Native American territory what is now Florida (which was under Spain at the time). He was also able to transfer Florida to the United States from Spain
- He signed the Indian Removal Act, which relocated several native tribes from southern States to what is now Oklahoma (this wasn’t anything new at the time and actually something proposed by George Washington, the first U.S. President)
What will change on the $20 bill?
Moooooove over Andrew Jackson. The new face of the $20 bill will be Harriet Tubman.
Who is Harriet Tubman you ask?
What you need to know about Harriet Tubman:
- She is one of the most well-known heroes of anti-slavery in the U.S. At the time, the word used was ABOLITIONIST.
- Abolitionism was a movement in the U.S. before and during the American Civil War to end slavery
- Harriet was born into slavery, however, she escaped and she also lead 13 missions to rescue 70 enslaved families using what was called The Underground Railroad
- The Underground Railroad–it was NOT underground. Rather, it was a collection of secret routes and safe houses for enslaved people to escape to free states and Canada. At the time, some states allowed slaves and other states did not.
- Because she helped so many slaves escape to freedom, she was nicknamed the “Moses of Her People”
Other U.S. currencies are up for redesign, so we’ll see if there will be any more changes!
Again, the changes to the $10 and $20 bills won’t happen for a few more years in 2020.