The I-20 form is the document international students need to enter the U.S. If you have entered the U.S. and haven’t received your redesigned I-20, you need to read this!
WASHINGTON, D.C.–Since June 26, 2015 the Department of Homeland Security started issuing redesigned I-20 forms to students on F and M visas. Those who had an I-20 before this date need to get the new form by July 1, 2016.
What is different about the new I-20?
- A more visible SEVIS ID number, school and program of study for the student.
- A better separation of the student’s information from the dependent(s) information.
- Expandable field boxes that display information about cap gap extension, change of status, event history and other authorizations.
- General design improvements that include moving the instructions to the third page of the Form I-20, as well as the removal of the barcode, and the blocks for visa and port of entry information.
- The new Request Mass Reprint functionality that allows DSOs to reprint Forms I-20 for multiple students at a time.
Again, if you received your I-20 BEFORE June 26, 2015 you need to make sure you get the new one. If you received your I-20 on or after this date you already have the updated form.
How do I get the updated I-20?
You must see your Designated School Official (DSO) at your university/college who works in your international office.