The holiday season is officially here! If you want to give special treats to those you care about or you just want to treat yourself, we pulled together some easy recipes for celebrating the holidays in the U.S. This week’s feature is the red and green cupcakes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
2. One cup of water
3. 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
4. Three eggs
5. One jar of vanilla icing (room temperature)
6. Red and green food coloring
7. Assorted holiday sprinkles and decorations
Supplies You’ll Need
2. Two cupcake baking tins
4. Optional: icing decorating bag
1. Buying cake mix means the instructions are on the back of the box. It’s pretty easy!
-Mix the cake mix, one cup of water, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, and three eggs.
-While mixing, pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Once mixed, divide the cake mix into two different bowls.
3. In one bowl, add six drops of green food coloring. In the second bowl, add six drops of red food coloring. Feel free to add more or less, it’s up to you! Mix each bowl until the colors are evenly mixed.
4. Place the cupcake liners in the cupcake baking tins. This recipe you’ll need two baking tins, it will make 24 cupcakes.
*You can use any cupcake liners for this process, doesn’t have to be the pretty, holiday ones. Will explain why at step 8.
5. In one cupcake baking tin (12 cupcakes), put the red cake mix. The the second cupcake baking tin, put the green mix.
6. Put in the oven! Let it bake for about 15-20 minutes.
*Quick tip: To make sure cupcakes are done, use a toothpick and poke the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means the cupcakes are ready! If the toothpick comes out with cake mix on it, that means they need to be in the oven longer.
7. Pull cupcakes out and let them cool for about 15-20 minutes.
8. Peel the liners off the cupcakes and cut them in half. As you can see, we didn’t use the fancy cupcake liners for this process. Toss the cupcake liners in the trash.
9. Remove the top part of the cupcake and put icing on the bottom.
10. Then put the top back on! The icing helps keep the cupcake together and it’s a surprise treat for those eating it. We decided to mix up the colors, so the cupcakes either have a red bottom and green top or vice versa.
11. Now it’s time to use the fun, holiday cupcake liners! We put them back in the cupcake baking tins for easy transportation.
12. Now comes the really fun part, decorating! You can use the decorating icing bag to put the icing or you can use a knife. Pick whatever decorations and have fun! Here’s at we did.
Enjoy! We hope you find this recipe easy and fun. We’ll be sharing more easy treat recipes throughout the month!
Do you have an easy, holiday recipe you would like to share? It can be from your home country or something you learned while in the U.S. We’ll feature it on ISVMag.com!
Email Carrie Circosta, Editor in Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org